GURPS has a bunch of traits related to diet, but they're a little scattered and can feel free-form. This is a list of lenses for common diet restrictions, for quickly making new races, or adding a mutation to a character. Unless otherwise noted, diet restrictions can be pushed with the help of TL7+ medicine and TL7+ food processing. By TL 10 food can be synthesized by machine from a wide variety of "inappropriate" feedstock.
Human-like, 0 points
- Must eat a flexible combination of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and grains to maintain health.
- Can (and often does) supplement or replace part of the vegetation diet with animal sources - eggs, dairy products, and/or animal flesh.
- Cannot digest cellulose, therefore gains insignificant calories from grasses, bark, wood, etc.
You eat like a human. You can be a pure vegetarian or a mixed omnivore, and can be a pure carnivore for short periods of time (weeks) before malnutrition becomes an issue. You have a strong resistance to many plant toxins - spices are tasty! - and a reasonable resistance to alcohol.
No special rules are required, GURPS assumes this as the default case.
Cat-like, -15 points
- Must eat fairly fresh meat
- Must eat all body parts: muscles, organs, skin/hair/feathers, small amounts of bone, etc.
You are an obligate carnivore, like the small and big cats. You can't live just on muscle meat, you must eat all different parts of the animal to maintain balanced nutrition. You can eat plants for medicinal purposes, but not for nutrition; large quantities of plants don't just starve you, they can dangerously block your digestion and usually make you vomit. You have very little resistance to plant toxins or alcohol.
Rules: Restricted Diet, whole animal flesh (no substitution) [-10], Susceptible to Plant Toxins 2 [-4], Alcohol Intolerance [-1].